It was one year ago today I made the first post on this site. What a year it’s been! I started putting the idea together in October and November 2011 and was ready to announce to the world on Dec 22, 2011. Little did I know it wouldn’t be until then end of April before our first batch of artisan pasta was ready to be sold. If I would’ve known that, I might not be typing this today.
I wanted to recap and remember a few things from this year and preserve them on the inter webs for all to see. So, here are a few things I did right
and a few things I did wrong this past year.
- I’m proud our company had a social mission from the beginning. By donating one meal for every pound of pasta we sell to help hungry kids in America we’re helping make a difference. As cliche as it sounds, it is sooo rewarding. It’s one of my favorite parts of this whole deal.
- I didn’t know how hard it was to make really good dry pasta. That one costs months of work and lots of $$$ to figure out. My trip to California really helped.
- I really like our logo. We used 99 Designs to run a contest for the logo design. While I had a vision of what I wanted the logo we ended up with is not what I was originally thinking. I sweat every detail, but the process was really fun. We get lots of compliments on it.
- My writing style was (sometimes still is) a bit over the top. What can I say, I think I’m funnier than I am sometimes. I go back and read a some of those early posts and shudder a bit.
- People really like our pasta!! Another one of my other favorite parts of this whole deal. At our price point it sometimes takes convincing to get people to give Valentino Pasta a try. The majority come back. *cheesy grin*
I don’t want to make this too long, but those are some of the things that jumped out at me. Marie and I have met some amazing people because of this business. From people that help organize and run farmers markets, to food pantry volunteers, to vendors, retailers and customers. It’s been our pleasure to share some carby goodness with you this past year. It’s been a blast.
Thank you, and here’s to the future!